Thursday, January 14, 2010

2010, Book 3: Assuming the Position

Someone should remind me to take all of Dave's book recommendations and Google them before I actually read them. He's not always recommending bad reads, but this time he really missed the mark. Assuming the Position is a memoir written by a man who was a homosexual prostitute in the 90s.

While it isn't a terrible book, it just was really not my thing. I am a huge supporter of gay rights and I have more than a few gay friends, however I don't even want to read a heterosexual book with that many lewd descriptions. It was definitely overkill. However, I will credit the author with one thing: he didn't glamorize prostitution at all. He made it sound raunchy and disgusting and he was very clear about the fact that he was a prostitute because he was a sex and drug addict.

One of the things that I liked least about this book was the way that the author spoke of his addictions. He clearly has not fully addressed his issues although he seemed to think himself well and recovered enough to write an effective memoir. I personally don't believe that his messages were positive and would be concerned if an addict looking for solitude picked up his novel to read it because I don't think that it passes on a healthy message.

This is probably not a book I would recommend to anyone, unless they were needing something like it for school.

No comments:

Post a Comment