Friday, April 23, 2010

2010, Book 13: The Heretic's Daughter

I think that it goes without saying that I have a thing for history and a big thing for historical fiction. The Heretic's Daughter was the perfect book for me because it fed into those two tastes. In fact, it painted an extremely vivid picture of one of the darkest chapters of U.S. history, the Salem witch trials.

The characters in The Heretic's Daughter are based on real people who lived in that time. Martha Carrier was one of the first women to be executed as a witch during the trials. The story is told from the perspective of Sarah Carrier, who is Martha's oldest daughter. Sarah and her brothers were all eventually accused of practicing witchcraft as well, so in addition to telling her tale as an observer she tells her tale as a participant as well.

This novel was amazing to me on many levels. First of all, I loved exploring the relationship between a mother and a daughter. Two people who were so alike that they sometimes had trouble getting along. It was very familiar to me and I am sure that most women would be able to relate to it. Secondly, Sarah Carrier's family are outcasts. They do not fit in with the society of the day and the story makes it clear that a person can be an outcast and be different and still be a good person. It is also illustrated that just because a person seems to fit in with society they are not necessarily a good person.

But, above all of the amazing elements of the story, the thing that I liked the best was that Martha and Sarah Carrier were strong, determined females. They were heroes in their own right. They were also examples that a woman can be a wife, a mother, a daughter, and a sister and still have principles. Woman can still have a voice and can still stand for what they believe in even if they chose to take on a "traditional" woman's role in life. I absolutely loved the fact that this book was centered around strong female characters.

While I was reading The Heretic's Daughter I felt compelled to laugh, cry, and cheer (I actually did cry). It is, doubtless, one of the best books I have ever had the privilege of reading. It had factual history, historical fiction, and kick ass women. I believe that any history buff and all women should read it at some point.

No comments:

Post a Comment