Monday, August 24, 2009

#3: I Hope They Serve Beer in Hell

Let me just start out by saying that the author of this book, Tucker Max, needs to go to Pueblo, CO. He cannot consider himself such a true drinking master, with his own scale of drunkenness until he goes to Pueblo and drinks with some true Pueblo drinkers. I've yet to meet people that can drink like they can in Pueblo and sadly, I think Mr. Max overestimates himself in this area. Pueblo drinkers can drink for a week straight with only 2 hour windows of passing out. They then arise and continue to drink. This is a common occurrence and this happens with groups of 5-6 people. All of them hang in there for the whole week. It's sad, but kind of amazing.

Onward to my point, the review of this book. My husband and I have read a couple of books aloud together and this is one of them. He doesn't like to read and I do,but he frequently takes interest in books so this is my way of getting him to partake of reading. This is totally a guy's book. However, I am somewhat of a guy's girl, so I really enjoyed it. In fact, it is one of the most hilarious things I have ever read.

One of the best parts about this book is that it is not written in chapters. The stories are all separate and not in chronological order, so the reader can go through it at their own pace and can even skip around. Most of the stories are hilarious. Mr. Max seems to get himself into some pretty funny situations and he does not take the most polite or least confrontational ways of getting out of them. He is a sucker for the drama and attention and it lands him in some hilarious spots.

The downside to the book is that Mr. Max does a lot of trash talking to people and he isn't quite as funny as I expected him to be. The situational comedy in the book far exceeds the dialogue. There are entire stories in which the main attraction is his drunken banter with unsuspecting victims, and he is an asshole and obnoxious but he really isn't as funny or creative as he thinks he is.

However, the book is well worth reading. It's refreshing that he doesn't mind admitting to and blatantly being a total jerk. He's candid and uninhibited and he's funny. However, if you are easily offended, have a weak stomach, are sensitive to rudeness, don't approve of excessive drinking, are conservative about sex, or can't laugh at others without feeling guilty I wouldn't recommend reading this book. Also, if the previous two titles I wrote about are right up your alley, this one won't be.

All in all, excellent book. I will read the sequel and will probably go back and re-read certain stories. Mr. Max is an interesting individual and writes well. I would definitely recommend it to anyone who asked.

No comments:

Post a Comment