Friday, October 9, 2009

#11: Nefertiti

I really love reading historical fiction. I am a very passionate history major, so it is just a perfect fit for me. However, I don't know much about ancient Egypt. I enjoy it, but it isn't a part of history that I can discuss while asserting a lot of confidence and knowledge.

I received Nefertiti as part of a book swap that I did with another mom and when I saw the cover and read the description I didn't initially get too excited about it. However, I had trouble sleeping the night before last, so I went ahead and picked it up. I started at about 9 p.m. I then proceeded to stay up all night and finish Nefertiti at around 11 a.m. yesterday. It was a wonderful book. It made me decide to do more reading about Nefertiti and the dynasty that she was a part of.

Nefertiti is told from the perspective of Nefertiti's little sister and it chronicles her marriage to a young, heretic Pharaoh, their rise to power, their execution of their plans, and their eventual downfall. A large part of the story is how influential Nefertiti was on her husband and how important it was to the well being of her family that she be a successful wife to the Pharaoh. It also details how her position affected her and molded her from a young girl to an adult in a very powerful position.

Anyone who read The Other Boleyn Girl and enjoyed it would definitely enjoy Nefertiti. As would any lover of Egypt, historical fiction, love stories, dramatic stories, stories with a lot of different aspects, and pretty much anyone who loves to read. It is a very good, well written book that is deserves a chance from any reader.

No comments:

Post a Comment