Tuesday, October 13, 2009

#13: Motor Mouth

I am not usually a reader of what could be referred to as "trashy" novels. They just don't appeal to me on many levels. I enjoy reading books that make me think and that I don't get embarrassed telling people about. However, I borrowed this book thinking that it was something else and I ended up really enjoying it. I think that sometimes I read books that weigh on me very heavily. The characters from The Pilot's Wife still run through my head quite often and I think about Middlesex a lot as well. It was nice to read something that was light and frivolous.

Motor Mouth follows Alexandra Barnaby, an engineer and Sam Hooker, a race car driver on an adventure involving illegal NASCAR technology, an inheritance dispute, and murder. "Barney" and Hooker are ex lovers who still have a thing for each other. They also work together. After Hooker loses the last race of the season, Barney finds out that the winner may have been a party to cheating. Through a series of events, she and Hooker get tied up in the whole mess and wind up in way over their heads.

Throughout the story, they are accompanied by a very large dog and two middle aged Cuban women from Miami. They all work together, and get in a lot of trouble, in their attempt to unravel the mystery and get themselves out of harm's way.

Motor Mouth is a lot of fun to read. It was very simple and didn't demand a lot of thought. However, it was not a wonderful piece of literature and I probably will not be checking out any future "Alexandra Barnaby Novels." However, if anyone is looking for a mindless read this would be a wonderful choice.

No comments:

Post a Comment