Sunday, October 4, 2009

#8: Lost

I guess I should start this off by saying that I really did not like this book at all. When I saw it on the shelf at the bookstore and picked it out, I was initially very excited. I loved Wicked and Confessions of an Ugly Stepsister and so I figured that the author couldn't steer me wrong and I happily purchased Lost. Now, as a result of my faith, I feel like I wasted a week of my life on a horrible book.

Lost is the story of Winnie Rudge. She believes that one of her ancestors is the basis for Ebenezer Scrooge and while she is staying in his former home in London, she begins to believe that he is haunting the place. This sounds like the makings of a pretty good story. However, Lost goes from a very promising haunting story to Winnie alienating herself from everyone to a weird old lady doing crazy things in her house to a possession to an adventure while possessed. The story drags in all of the wrong places and then abruptly switches gears and starts to drag again.

I suppose that it could be said that the mystery reveals itself throughout the story but it feels more like the mystery changes throughout the story in order to make it easier to write. The characters are undeveloped and shallow while the plot seems confused and messy. All in all there isn't much else to be said about this novel. It wasn't good and it wasn't very readable.

No comments:

Post a Comment